Typically, one of the first things anyone is recommended to do upon setting up a new computer or other connected device is to install some antivirus software. It’s been the way for many years, but with recent advancements in technology and modern devices being stronger, faster, and more efficient than ever before, is it still totally necessary? Do you really need antivirus software nowadays?
Well, the simple and clear answer to that question is a resounding “Yes!” You do still need antivirus software in the modern era. In fact, it’s probably never been more important. This guide will take a closer look at why antivirus software is so essential in the modern era, as well as highlighting just some of the scariest threats online you won’t have to worry about if you get a good antivirus package.
Why do I need antivirus software?
Even though modern devices are much better-designed and modern operating systems are stronger than they’ve ever been in many respects, they’re not all-powerful. There are gaps, holes, and weaknesses in any system or device, and malicious cyberattacks can exploit those holes.
Sadly, we live in a world where there are a lot of malicious hackers and potential cybercriminals out there, all working hard to find ways to break into other people’s devices.
Sometimes, they do this to try and steal money or personal data. Other times, they simply want to damage your device. Sometimes, they may even use their malware or viruses to spy on your screen, seeing what sites you visit and what actions you take online.
The worst part of all is that once your device has been broken into once, even by a relatively simple virus that won’t do too much damage on its own, it can send a signal to other attackers that your system isn’t protected, opening the door to wave after wave of additional attacks.
All of these threats can be quite terrifying and very difficult to deal with on your own, but with strong antivirus software, the risks of falling victim to these kinds of attacks vastly decreases.
The Power Of Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is able to protect your devices from these threats. It works around-the-clock, whenever your device is switched on and connected, to scan the system, look for potential weaknesses, identify and eliminate viruses that may already have passed through the cracks, and helps to protect you from further attacks too.
With antivirus software installed, your computer or other device will be much safer. You’ll be alerted to any suspicious links or files as you browse online, you’ll be able to scan any downloaded content before opening it up, and you’ll be able to find ways to improve and fine-tune your computer for faster run times and improved efficiency all-round.
The Scariest Threats
Even though antivirus protection has ‘virus’ in the name, it actually works against a wide range of threats and issues your device might face on a day to day basis. Here are some of the most dangerous examples:
- Ransomware – Ransomware is one of the most worrying of online threats. With this kind of malware, a hacker will be able to lock you out of your device, demanding a ‘ransom’ payment in order to give you back control.
- Trojans – Trojans can be very difficult to deal with, as they are designed to look like innocent files but have viruses hidden inside. When you click to open them up, the viruses are unleashed.
- Spyware – Spyware is one of the most worrying online threats, as it allows hackers to basically watch and track everything you do on your computer. This is an easy way for them to obtain bank details and personal information.
- Worms – Worms can be very damaging to your computer, as they’re able to spread throughout the system and even the surrounding network, multiplying and doing all kinds of damage like deleting files, injecting malware, or stealing your data.
- Bots – Certain types of malware can turn your computer into a ‘bot’, which basically puts it under the control of a hacker, letting them use your files and applications to launch extra attacks or perform all kinds of malicious acts like letting the hacker see through your webcam.
These malware threats and viruses can be so difficult to deal with if you don’t have the proper protection, and the consequences can be life-altering if your personal data gets stolen or you end up losing money. This is why it’s so important to install the best antivirus software you can find and get protected.